Categorized | News

Boko Haram Spokesman Abul Qaqa Captured – Leadership Newspapers

A key member of Boko Haram, Abul Qaqa, was arrested by the State Security Service (SSS) yesterday, just as 20 victims of the Christmas Day bomb blast in Madallah, Niger State, were given mass burial.

The Borno State director of the SSS, Ahmed Abdullahi, disclosed on Wednesday night that his officers had arrested the man who goes by the pseudonym Abul Qaqa in Maiduguri.

Qaqa, who had been speaking on behalf of the Boko Haram sect for the past six months, had been issuing statements claiming responsibility for various bomb attacks.

Speaking to newsmen yesterday, the state director of SSS, Mr. Ahmed Abdullahi, said Qaqa was picked from his hideout in Maiduguri, the capital city of Borno State, through the global positioning tracking system (GPS)

Although Mr. Abdullahi declined comment on the precise area where the sect’s spokesman was nabbed, he explained that a team of experts within the service had been on the trail of the suspect, saying, “We have finally got him and he is currently in our custody,” he said.

The director, who would not entertain questions from newsmen or make further clarifications on the issue, added, “I can confirm to you that the spokesman of the sect is in our custody and so you can just report this development.”

It was gathered that Qaqa, an indigene of Kogi State and a native of Igala tribe, was finally arrested after the SSS had been monitoring his phone calls, despite the fact that he used numerous numbers and always replaced them with new ones.

Shortly after the announcement of the capture of the spokesman, an unidentified member of the sect who spoke with reporters on phone confirmed that their spokesman had indeed been nabbed.

“Yes, I can confirm to you that our spokesman has been arrested at his residence in Maiduguri. In fact, he was just arrested without any confrontation as he was taken unawares… our warriors who normally guard him were absent when the security agents raided his hideout,” the sect member said.

He however stated that Qaqa’s arrest would not deter the sect from carrying out more violence against the authority and security agents, adding: “Our struggle was not for worldly gain; rather it is to be close to Almighty God by establishing Islamic system of governance, so why would we be discouraged just because one of us was nabbed?”

The man assured that the group would make a formal reaction over the issue, “We are ready to sacrifice our lives for this cause as the arrest of one of our top leaders will only further motivate us.”

Until his arrest, Qaqa served as the go-between between journalists and the Boko Haram sect.

Emir Booed As Madalla Blast Victims Get Mass Burial
Meanwhile, the Emir of Suleija, Malam Awal Ibrahim, was yesterday booed by worshippers during the mass burial of victims of the Christmas Day bombing of St. Theresa’s Catholic Church, Madalla, Niger State.

The service, which held at the Catholic Church, was attended by thousands of people from within and outside the country.

A suicide bomber of the Boko Haram sect had, on December 25, 2011, detonated a bomb at the church, killing scores of worshippers including women and children.

At the funeral mass organised by the Catholic Diocese of Minna, 18 victims of the blast were buried, amidst wailing and tears, within the premises of the church.

Trouble started when the monarch, who arrived late for the service, attempted to disembark from his vehicle with a retinue of his aides.

As soon as the emir and his entourage drove into the church, some youths and worshippers who could not find space inside the auditorium started complaining about his presence.

To avoid any unpleasant encounter, the monarch remained inside the vehicle until his presence was announced by the moderator of the service.

“I wish to also announce the presence of the Emir of Suleja, Malam Awal Ibrahim,” the moderator said. Once the announcement was made, worshippers within and outside the church thundered, “No! No! No! No!”

The moderator later invited the monarch to deliver a goodwill message and this led to another round of booing by the worshippers.

The pandemonium continued for several minutes as the leadership of the church made frantic attempts to calm the worshippers, but to no avail.

The situation within and outside the auditorium became so charged that the Bishop of Minna Diocese, Most Rev. Martin Uzoukwu, who also served as chief mourner at the service, held the floor to address the worshippers.

“Beloved brothers and sisters, I appeal to all of you to please calm down,” he pleaded, adding that the best honour to give to the victims of the unprovoked violence was for the worshippers to pray for peace and unity of the church and the country.

Before their charred remains were interred, a mass was conducted by the Bishop of Minna, assisted by the Archbishop of Abuja Arch Diocese, Most Rev. John Onaiyekan, and other Catholic bishops.

In his sermon, Onaiyekan urged Christians to avoid vengeance but forgive those who wronged and caused them pain and untold hardship.

He said: “We are here to bury those who have died in the blast which was deliberately detonated in the front of the church on the morning of Christmas Day. Almost all of the victims were worshippers coming in or going out of the church premises for the Eucharistic celebration that day.

“We live in a country where many people are dying daily. People are dying in their hundreds. We have come to bury those who died with a difference. They were killed in their place of worship on the festival of the birth of Jesus.

“The bomb blast shook our nation. No wonder the news was heard all over the world. They deserve to be listed as martyrs. They have not died in vain. Those who killed others are simply murderers who have no reason to kill.

“It is natural that we feel the pain of the sudden death of our brothers and sisters. May the Lord comfort the family of the bereaved.”

Meanwhile, President Goodluck Jonathan has promised that the reorganisation in the police will bring about the necessary change needed to combat insecurity in the country.

Represented by the deputy chaplain, Aso Villa Chapel, Abbah Machala, the president said the country is ready to wage a renewed war against terrorism.

He said: “Government has started what needs to be done. Already, there is the change in the leadership of the police and there is going to be reorganisation of the police that will bring about credibility in what the security agencies are doing.

Speaking on cooperation with international security agencies, he said, “The international community, the UN, AU, US are committed to it. It will be a collective thing because terrorism is not just a Nigerian issue; it is a global issue.”

Also speaking, Senate president David Mark urged Nigerians not to be intimidated by the activities of the terrorists but remain steadfast in their faith in God.

Mark, who was represented by Senator Ayogu Eze, said the bomb blast was meant to humiliate the country and destroy the peace in the nation.

ACF Condemns Boko Haram, Says Northerners Worst Hit
In a related development, the apex northern socio-cultural body, Arewa Consultative Forum (ACF), yesterday said the federal government should commit itself openly and unambiguously in guaranteeing the security of leaders of the Boko Haram sect when they eventually come out for dialogue.

The request was made on the heels of an indication by the federal government that it was ready to engage the Islamic sect in dialogue towards finding a lasting solution to its dastard activities which has claimed lives of innocent citizens and unquantifiable amount of property.

The ACF, which also called on the leaders and members of the Boko Haram to realise that no religious doctrine permits the killing of innocent lives, accused the sect of unnecessarily inflicting terror, death and destruction upon people who are in no way responsible for whatever injustice they believed was being done to them.

“The federal government should commit itself openly and unambiguously in guaranteeing the security of leaders of Boko Haram when they eventually come out for dialogue as promised by Mr. President,” the statement read. “While it is true that the actions of Boko Haram are condemnable, it is also necessary to call on the Federal Government and all our political leaders, as well as all those in positions of authority, to recall the UN Resolution 1963 of 2010 which urge governments around the world to address underlying causes of civil unrest and social conflicts rather than resort to hard military power which rarely solves them.”

The ACF also disclosed that more than 90 per cent of persons killed by the Boko Haram sect were citizens of northern extraction.

The chairman of the National Executive Council (NEC) of the ACF, Mr. Aliko Mohammed, who stated this at the conference in Kaduna Wednesday, said that the terrorist group was more of an enemy to the north than the people of the south and the rest of Nigerians.

Mr. Mohammed further claimed that Boko Haram had given no notifications for southerners to leave the north but that the calls had actually emanated from the south where, he noted, northerners were asked to leave.

3 Responses to “Boko Haram Spokesman Abul Qaqa Captured – Leadership Newspapers”

  1. mohammed says:

    Bravo ! to the sss men.a child who says his mother will not sleep will also not sleep.boko haram has messed up the name of islam for their selfish interest.this shows our security men are equal to the task when not compromised.ensure that the sokoto story is not repeated.mallam boko, u will bomb here today, u will attack here tomorow, what have u achieved.u will end the way of osama who used his talent for satan and achieved nothing but destruction to mankind in the name of islam.ur eyes will open in hell.now mallam boko speaker,expose ur sponsors or tell us ur next point of blood shade.a fool! No dialogue whatsoever with criminals seeking to overthrow a legitimate government.those calling for dialogue should be arrested as sponsors.have they taught of feelings of affected families or the embarasments caused to nigeria as a nation.afterall, dialogue on what

  2. Tony Dansu says:

    This is good for us. I think it is the beginning of the end of this monster in our nation. I hope appropirate authorities will do a follow-up to this break-through [that is, if they are not part of the group].

  3. joy says:

    what statistcs did u use to arive at 90% north.stop deceiving urselves, FG cannot dialogue with blood suckers .just because boko is now being exposed as nothern agenda against Jonathan, ACF is calling for dialogue.dialogue on sharia law or islamising Nig.the north cannot intimidate nigeria any more.our eyes are open now. all their currupt institutions must be dismantled.if you want power for the north, you get it by open ballot not by back door dialogue.the boko haram sponsors must b exposed and punished not to dialogue with demons who thrive in drinking and wasting innocent bloods. what so ever they are agitating for cannot b more important than human lives.

Trackbacks/Pingbacks


Leave a Reply


five − = 2

Share Nigerians Saving Nigerians With Your Friends

Nigerians Saving Nigerians is registered as a nonprofit corporation with the Secretary of State of Texas, U.S.A. Nigerians Saving Nigerians is a nontribalistic and nonprofit organization, founded on the 27th of September, 2011. The purpose of Nigerians Saving Nigerians is to strengthen civic duties among Nigerians in order to foster peace and prosperity. The purpose of the Nigerians Saving Nigerians website is to provide a platform where Nigerians can organize peacefully in order to strengthen the development of Nigeria.

Find Us On Facebook

Featured video on Nigerians Saving Nigerians: Spoken word performance by President Barack Obama Fellow, Omololu Omotosho.

php developer india

Video of the week: Africa Rising

php developer india