Pictures of Ugonna Madueke, Son of Nigeria’s Petroleum Minister, Diezani Alison-Madueke, were published in various websites depicting him as a brat that is out of touch with the sufferings of Nigerian masses.
The pictures are below,

The response of Ugonna Madueke is below,
“Re: A wicked attack on my person via internet photographs. – Ugonna Madueke

It was with great dismay that I awoke a few days ago to see the pictorial publications being circulated about my family and me by the on-line media. It has stirred up a great deal of controversy and has portrayed our family in a negative light.
The pictures posted were taken over a period of time, some before my mother left the private sector as an ED at Shell to work for the Nigerian government. Although I benefited from a comfortable upbringing I was raised in a fairly strict environment by a military father who insisted that we worked to support ourselves whilst in school. He ensured that we had the basic minimum to support us covering tuition food and transport only.

We were all compelled to work to support ourselves and at the same time excel academically. I am a fully qualified engineer who has worked in my area of expertise for the last 2 and half years. I work very hard at my job and like many people across the globe I also party hard.

The pictures of my brother with Neyo and Dbanj are typical of the way any young man or woman will react getting somewhat excited when they run into stars whether they be home grown or international. Most people will be more than happy to have their photograph taken with them.

As far as the limo ride goes, they are commonly used as airport taxis overseas. Occasionally myself along with my friends and family chip in to pay approx $100 from the airport to our destination. To put this in context it is approximately N16, 500. There were 6 of us in the limo ride, which worked out to be roughly N2000 per head.

With regards to the picture of me in the airplane, which by the way was shot almost 2 years ago, the explanation is really quite simple. I was in America to attend the wedding of an old classmate whose parents had chartered a small aircraft to take some of the bride’s closest friends and family to the destination. I did what anyone in my shoes would do and took a picture, Facebook is a testament to that.

It has been alleged that my family flew to America to attend a party, The event we attended was the Chris Aire event for the unveiling of NIGERIA’S GEM STONES with my Mother in her capacity as the then Minister of Mines & Steel. It was an event designed to promote Nigerian Gem stones.

The picture of us on the Red Carpet as we attended the event has also being published. I struggle to fully understand how something that was intended to showcase Nigerian talent and products is now seen as wrong. She also honoured an invitation at the London Stock Exchange to make a presentation; a clear indication that the Gemstone event at Los Angeles had started attracting foreign investors.

The picture showing members of my university fraternity and I holding some money was taken several years ago, while I was an undergraduate. It was a requirement of the society that we documented our fund raising success for a charitable course on behalf of the society I belonged to in the university. The society is called Alpha – Phi – Alpha University of Maryland Chapter.

Like any young man, I have had my fair share of fun, hanging out and partying I am grateful for the upbringing that I have had. This does not however mean I am immune from the realities of the plight of millions of Nigerians living at or below the poverty line. If the pictures (published out of context) were intended to portray me or my family as insensitive to the plight of millions of Nigerians I can honestly state that this is by no means who we are.

What this has taught me however is that, with positions of privilege and leadership come humility and responsibility not only by those in leadership but members of their extended family also.

I sincerely apologise to my family and the Nigerian public for any hurt, anger or embarrassment that might have been caused by these pictures, which were taken completely out of context. I will endeavor to ensure that all my actions in future will be sensitive to the plight of all.

However I have absolutely no control over this well orchestrated smear campaign, which is mainly directed at my mother, I therefore appeal to Nigerians not to take everything they see or read at face value.”
What are you thinking?

39 Responses to “Son of Nigeria’s Minister of Petroleum respond to Published ‘Defaming’ Pictures of his lifestyle”

1. Tombolikwo says:

Onye ube ruru ya racha..OGB ya pear has fully riped u can enjoy . however remember no condition is permanent. Try to heip some1 in need!Shebi ya papa na Commodore Alison Madueke?Na Dem oooo!

2. Stanley says:

Live ur life nd 4get peoples talk. If ur life is the opposite, the will still talk. The best thing is to be urself. Some of ur critics live larger than you do. Will u nw go underground bcos of ur mums position?

3. Lanre says:

i have said this times without number…nobody in my family iis a politician, yet i’ve done virtually every thing this guy has in the pix when i was a little younger. its what every young man flaussin woulda done besides, in countries like US and Canada those things come cheap. most of the hypocrites talking woulda done worse. so make una free the guy.

4. Blekoblink says:

Ugonna. You’re not getting older, you’re getting better. Go out and have all the fun is your life dude…. All the groove is less than a €1000… What people forget Youth happens, but age is earned…. Bro enjoy 1 luv

5. itoro says:

Dude flunt and fluss ur style,let the haters die of hate,we are the port-harcourt dudes born with swags,big pimping a don’t forget to hit the lesbians together.

6. abimbola adebo says:

Your response truly shows your upbringing & the kind of person you are. If it were other spoiled children, would have responded diffrently , you are truly sorry & apologetical about it. If anyone wants to crucify you afterwards , then the wrath of God is upon them all , because if they were in your shoes they will do worst. In anyway you can assist anyone in need , please do ! The lord will keep you & your entire family.

7. valyhot himself says:

the guy na aba akpu…and his father may have spared the rod to spoil the child

8. Bhollar Johnson says:

Hmm, am so sorry for this nation called-Nigeria. Ogbonna, yeah, u are right. You can boast and even pride urself d best brain or even d greatest achiever of dis generation as a result of good upbringing and quality education by being sent to one of d best schools in d world with national resources at expense of other Nigerians. However, one thing is sure, not even ur so-called mum wuld be spared wen d real revolution begins. We’ll take bak all they have stolen. We are watching unfolding events.

9. Rose says:

Ugonna,u ve’ heard it all. A word is enough for the wise.i rest my case.

10. Solomon Odiase. says:

In whatever you do whether in private or public life be modest and exhibit some form of restraints.I praise the young man for his explanation. This lifestyle is very common. Go to any of our campuses and see the way the children of the rich display wealth. I blame their parents. When a student in school is given a car like Range Sport to use what will he use after graduating? when we are told to emulate Awolowo, Azikiwe and the Saduana we should appreciate them. They had children. Did they behave this way? We need to think.

11. Nomolos says:

THERE’S NO POINT HAGGLING OVER WHO’S RIGHT OR WRONG.MADUEKE JUNIOR IS JUST A VICTIM OF CIRCUMSTANCE. THE FACT THAT HIS MOTHER IS PART OF A SYSTEM OF GOVERNMENT THAT HAS FAILED THE NATION REPEATEDLY IS WHAT PROMPTED THE OUTBURST OF NIGERIANS.HE DID THE RIGHT THING THOUGH BY GIVING EXPLICIT EXPLANATION, I RESPECT HIM FOR THAT. WHAT I’M NOT COMFORTABLE WITH IS THE COMMENT MADE BY ONE KEMI OMOLOLU-OLUNLOYO WHO CLAIMED TO BE SMARTER THAN ANY EDUCATED NIGERIAN (I THINK WHAT SHE MEANT IS THAT SHE IS SMATTER, NOT SMARTER),FORGETTING THAT THERE ARE GENIUSES AMONG THE POOL OF UNEMPLOYED GRADUATES WHO DIDN’T GET THE CHANCE TO WIN ANY SCHOLARSHIP BECAUSE THERE PARENTS WERE NOT PRIVILEGED TO BE IN GOVERNMENT NOR GOT THE CHANCE TO EVEN GET WESTERN EDUCATION BECAUSE SELF-CENTERED POLITICIANS LIKE HER FATHER SYPHONED THE MONEY MEANT FOR FREE EDUCATION INTO PERSONAL ACCOUNTS IN ORDER TO GET SCHOLARSHIP FORMS FOR THEIR DAUGHTERS!…I’M NOT KNOWN FOR THIS KIND OF OUTBURST BUT I REALLY AM DISAPPOINTED AT THE WAY A FOREIGN TRAINED GRADUATE,A JOURNALIST, AN ACTIVIST…HABA! COME HOME AND EXPERIENCE WHAT THE NOT TOO PRIVILEGE ONES ARE GOING THROUGH AND SEE IF YOU’LL NOT DO MORE THAN PEOPLE DID TO MR MADUEKE! MR MADUEKE YOU’VE SHOWN YOU ARE A CIVILISED MAN BUT DON’T LET THE LIKES OF KEMI MISLEAD YOU, AUSTERITY MOST TIMES MAKE PEOPLE DO IRRATIONAL THINGS,YOU MAY NOT KNOW THIS BECAUSE YOU DO NOT KNOW WHERE THE SHOE PINCHES.IF YOU REALLY ARE CONCERNED AS YOU CLAIM TO BE THEN SPEARHEAD SOME MOVES AGAINST BAD GOVERNANCE,BE A MASSES ADVOCATE OF SOME SORT…I MEAN…DO SOMETHING TO SHOW IT!…I REST MY CASE!

12. Jimmy says:

I honestly believe this young man. Please who will cast the first stone either as a parent or a young guy? NIGERIANS should stop attacking family members of govt executives such as chairman, governor, minister, president. Lets focus on ACCOUNTABILITY and demand it from. all our leaders – this will cut down corruption that has crippled the growth of our great country. God bless the federal republic of Nigeria. 1 love!

13. Tony Adigwe says:

I salute the courage and humility exbited by this young man by apologizing to Nigerians. However, I hope the lesson has been learnt here as he moves on with his life. The truth is that a lot of Nigerians are hungry and frustrated by the actions of most of our so called leaders (current/past). They have failed the people severally and so the people are simply angry with those in position and there extended family. I sincerely pray that our leaders will allow the spirit of God to direct them in their decision rather than self interest.

14. Oluri says:

Besides this is a young guy basically a kid. He is doing what every kid would do the world over. He is not going to stop and think, “Hmm wonder where this money is coming from, I better not spend it, it wouldnt be right”. Get the hell out of here. You do not have to be rich for your kids to spend your money any how. All young people will do it if given the chance. My kids sure would!!!!!!!!!!!!

15. Oluri says:

If you are from privilage it’s your privilage. You people would do the same. Nigeria shouldnt be so open and free for your politicans to use public funds for personel use. If that’s whats going on here. It’s 2012 you have to come out of the dark ages and follow the worlds leading nations examples. You put commitees in place to stop things like that from occuring.So many poor nations have pulled themselves up and have become power nations by hard work and intelligence and not just complaining. You Nigerians can do this too, you have already proved to be smart people by scaming Billions of dollars from around the world,that takes a lot of smarts and heart. Now put that to good use by funneling Billions of dollars to build up Nigeria as an African Superpower Nation and the rest will follow.

16. Caroline says:

pls. let leave the young man alone. anyone person will also live his or her life the way it pleases.

17. Kido says:

Wise approach.

18. Anonymous says:

u make sense sha, and i think your apology should be accepted. As for those that are still agry with you, you must understand things are very tight with a lot of people and successive administration have refused to reduce such sufferings.

19. Omo Ade says:

You have spoken well bro, as for me I dont really blame you cause if most poeple crucifying you are in your shoes they will do more than you have done. Try to take it easy, you know that your mother is a public figure and all eyes are on your family, so talk to your brother and you your self to try and lay low… Life is temporary one day every body must die…

20. Anonymous says:

Most Nigerians are still intellectually infertile and still leaves in the stone age! For God’s sake, is Madueke’s son’s rich life-style responsible for Boko Haram, Unemployment, Bad governance or even corruption that are Nigeria’s main problem? The young man has done what most people won’t do! He explained the events surrounding those pictures and even tendered an unreserved apology and yet some few people are still making stupid comments here! Please make good use of your time than castigating people whom God has blessed with wealth! Or perhaps some of u want to be friends with the Minister’s son!

• Bayor Mykel says:

Most Nigerians are well clued up and savvy than you realise. All the fragility’s you pointed out are the norm that all Nigerians both at home and in diaspora are grappling with daily. You are not saying anything new that had not been said before. The issue of Madueke’s son is one of the many anomaly that is slapping Nigerians in the face daily. I accept the pubic relation exercise by the young man to curtail the perceptions of Nigerians of his parents and himself in particular of negative light. Plundering of ill-gotten wealth in the face of your victims can never be classified as a blessing Mr Intellectual Infertile. Whilst I concur with your concerns however your conclusion is flawed with weak summation of what Nigerians wants and whom God has blessed rhetoric that does not add up at all and did not sit well with me. Wake up from your slumber and listen to the voice of disillusioned Nigerians at home and abroad.

21. Anonymous says:

Na who be this moron, wey no get shame, let me hear word, jor…? If you make money 10 times pass him Papa nko? So what? Yo…!!! before U get on ur high horse about how well you have done or accomplished in your sad life with the proceed of Nigerian wealth, do think of where your allegiance lies…!!! A house Nigger will always be a house nigger, no matter what…!!! We dont need your likes in Nigeria anyway, continue to serve your masters with due diligent and in punitive.

Minister dude, I feel for you…!!! However look within and be true to yourself because every picture tells a story. I can relate with your predicament, some “wannabe” Nigerians abroad are of similar vain. Thanks for sharing your wannabe opulent life journey with us.

22. ngozi says:

lump those explanations dowm yr throat.yr dad was with the military when they stole us pantless and yr mum is in this new kero,ago + pms cabal.if una no fear nigerians,una no dey sorry for us..haba

23. Anonymous says:

get out u dey fuck up and down u dey tell us rubbish

24. Anonymous says:

na lie u and ur family members including ur theif theif mother are all theif milking nigeria

25. alex olunwa says:

What people are saying is that you rich kids should be a little reserved in having fun. Your lives are everything public when your parents are in office. You can channel your energy towards success like your mother or father. I tell you truthfully, if you do not surpass your parents, you are a failure.

26. nancy says:

Is no one’s business, people should learn to appreciate gud tins so dat gud tins might come their way…

27. Anonymous says:

28. kennedy okonkwo says:

The young man exercised very thoughtful humility by his expressions..I want to thank him for the regards he has for nigerians who were offended by the publication of those pictures.However,there is always a silent war raging between the poor and the rich as can be seen from some angry comments here..You have done your bit to explain things clearly and if anyone is not satisfied,that person should burn…Like onwubuya observed,you have your life to live….

29. Ben Onwubuya says:

The young man has his life to liive.

30. WHY DOES MADUEKE’S SON HAVE TO EXPLAIN HIS LIFESTYLE TO ANYONE? POLITICIANS CHILDREN ARE ALWAYS TARGETED WHEN THEY HAVE MONEY. MY FATHER WAS MINISTER, COMMISIONER 5 TIMES AND GOVERNOR FOR 3 MONTHS AND NOBODY SAID NOTHING BECAUSE MOST MORONIC NIGERIANS DID NOT KNOW ME. I WENT TO SCHOOL ABROAD 35 YEARS AGO ON A FULL SCHOLARSHIP COS I WAS SMARTER THAN ANY EDUCATED NIGERIAN AND NEVER CAME BACK. SO NOW THAT I SPEAK FOR THE CHILDREN OF NIGERIAN POLITICIANS WHO WORK HARD, WHY DON’T U ALL STFU AND WORK HARD TO BUILD YOUR OWN EMPIRE. I MAKE 10 TIMES ANYTHING MY FATHER HAS EVER MADE. IT’S CALLED HARD HARD WORK.

31. Good People says:

Some of us are not privileged to be sons of ministers, yet, we have this kind of lifestyle in meagre salaries. Even borrow on borrow to impress. It seems all Nigerians have the opulent DNA in their gene. Until we all learn to live simple life and have the virtue of contentment we cannot get rid of corruption. In some countries, people use bicycle to work and they call it green living, here we call it poverty!

32. Kpayan says:

The youngman is only reaping what he’d sown, it’s his turn to have a comfortable sourjorn and experience on earth; only i’ll advise he doesn’t do it to the detriment of his soul in the hereafter. Some of us that are either envious or jealous of his oppulent life style were once like him; we mis-used the opportunity and have to come back the way we are now. What the young Madueke should seek for is the reason for his present status in life and make judicious use of this opportunity, so that he won’t come back again and be part of poverty striken masses after this earth life.

33. elnoor says:

hahaha im really hppy to see dat my use ur time do wat ever u like it is ur time to shine one day u suprice

34. Anonymous says:

this young man has nothing to apologize for even if the lavish life style is true, what you want him to do, open a charity? If my parents were that endowed, i would flunt it, best believe that. It’s not his fault that the Nigerian Government is corrupted nor it is his responsibility to be a role model to anyone. he is not the son of a pastor. I understand poverty makes people sensitive but he ain’t gonna feel guilty for he has. If you were in his position you will do more. And trust me, I’m an ordinary Nigeria young man not born with a silver spoon.

35. tunde says:

Ogonna, u have your private life to live, assuming your Mum is not a Minister, you will still lead your life the way you know best. Ride on,don’t be apologetic since all these pics are pre your Mum’s appointment

36. tunde says:

Ride on son, u are right on course

37. Tadeus says:

“A picture is worth a thousand words”. So goes the proverb. What is this classless waste of a human, regardless and worse that he’s the son of a serving minister, replying to?

38. BELLOCITY says:

Thus are the People ruin our future genaration life I ‘do believe One day you’ll gonna get what you deservs you and your fathers stolers of our money their it’ll gonna be the end of the grave diggers as, every one know not a all goddamn fucking day is a christmas, One day’ll gonna come the children you leave them in darknes should see the greater light, your end is sooner very soon we’ll gonna watch you cramble and died and our beloved country ‘ll gonna remain with our good peoples

Trackbacks/Pingbacks